Vice President, Total Rewards
|Category:||Life Sciences/Healthcare : Consumer Health|
TITLE: Vice President, Total Rewards
COMPANY: NorthShore University HealthSystem
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: The Vice President, Total Rewards reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
NorthShore University HealthSystem’s (NorthShore), longstanding mission “to preserve and improve human life” has and continues to guide its approach to patient care and its success. Headquartered in Evanston, IL, NorthShore is ranked among the Best Hospitals in Chicago (U.S. News & World Report) and is also consistently named annually as one of the “Top 100” Hospitals in the country (IBM Watson Health). NorthShore is a comprehensive, fully integrated healthcare delivery system with a large employed multispecialty group practice, numerous ambulatory facilities, as well as five hospitals – Evanston Hospital, Glenbrook Hospital, Highland Park Hospital, Skokie Hospital, and Swedish Hospital (acquired in 2019). In addition, in July 2020, NorthShore entered into an agreement to acquire Northwest Community Healthcare in Chicago’s northwest suburbs, which includes a large community hospital and several ambulatory care facilities and physician offices. The deal is expected to close by the end of 2020, pending regulatory approval.
Upon the completion of the Northwest Community Healthcare acquisition, NorthShore will have over 3,000 affiliated physicians, including a multispecialty group practice of approximately 1,500 employed physicians, serving in over 150 sites, including hospitals, primary & multi-specialty offices, Immediate Care, and comprehensive ambulatory care centers. Net revenues for the health system will be nearly $3B and the health system will have approximately 17,000 total staff.
As the primary teaching affiliate of the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, NorthShore is dedicated to excellence in its academic mission and supports teaching and research. Some 300 residents, fellows and medical students are at NorthShore facilities as part of the University of Chicago training program. Medical research is supported by the NorthShore Research Institute, one of the top programs among multi-specialty independent research hospitals in the United States.
The integrated health system has significant capabilities in a wide spectrum of leading clinical programs, including: NorthShore Cardiovascular Institute, Kellogg Cancer Center, NorthShore Neurological Institute, NorthShore Orthopaedic & Spine Institute, Neaman Center for Personalized Medicine, High-Risk Maternity, and the NorthShore-Advocate Pediatric Partnership. NorthShore’s talented and dedicated teams, compassionate clinical care, advanced information technology and commitment to innovation enable it to execute on its vision of becoming “the most trusted and indispensable health partner throughout the communities we serve.”
POSITION OVERVIEW AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Vice President, Total Rewards reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and is responsible for effectively partnering with leadership to ensure the alignment with strategic and operational business goals and objectives across compensation, retirement, and benefits. This position leads the development and delivery of progressive and strategic compensation solutions, including executive compensation. Above all, this new leader must determine “what matters” to team members with regards to the current and potential reward components to ensure a competitive position, while maximizing employee productivity, engagement, and retention.
The VP, Total Rewards will have a broad set of responsibilities, including:
- Work with the CHRO and with outside consultants, when appropriate, to prepare meeting materials and agendas to communicate clearly with the Compensation Committee (CC) to enable the CC to make decisions efficiently.
- Work with the CHRO and Compliance/Legal offices to ensure that the CC complies with regulations, fulfills all responsibilities, and provides appropriate documentation of meetings and decisions.
- Work with the CHRO and the Executive Leadership Team to ensure NorthShore University HealthSystem administers all relevant total rewards information in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Drive the automation and modernization of total rewards across the enterprise to help improve customer service and employee engagement. Further, elevate the application of key data and analytics in developing rewards programs and measuring their impact.
- Develop a contemporary total rewards strategy and supporting policies that attract and retain top talent for delivering the highest level of compassionate, extraordinary care every day, and to enhance NorthShore University HealthSystem as a workplace of choice.
- Foster positive relationships and ongoing dialog between HR and operating management to ensure alignment with operating goals and priorities as NorthShore University HealthSystem addresses total rewards issues. Increase the overall level of transparency with total rewards programs, building greater awareness of the key drivers and desired outcomes.
- Engage operating management, staff leadership, and employees wherever possible to ensure appropriate input to plan design and decisions in the best interest of NorthShore University HealthSystem.
- Serve as the accountable leader and project coordinator for total rewards for all merger and acquisition (M&A) work. This includes integration of newly acquired organizations and employees into current compensation and benefit programs.
- Implement approaches to expedite analyses on segments of the workforce, as needed, and propose recommendations to address and resolve total rewards matters for the near and long term.
- Lead a needed shift from a view of compensation and benefits being a cost to one where the investments are made with a lens of total return on investment to drive the organization’s mission.
- Drive greater consistency and alignment of physician rewards programs with the rest of the enterprise.
- Develop solutions that anticipate the upstream and downstream effects of changes beyond the immediate group or issue targeted, to minimize adverse unintended consequences upon implementation.
- Proactively collaborate with Marketing and Communications to provide thorough education and communication to the appropriate constituencies on total rewards.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations in the development and administration of total rewards policies, plans and programs.
- Partner closely with Finance to ensure thorough analysis of cost/savings of any changes under consideration as well as timely and accurate reporting.
- Lead in a manner that builds constructive and positive relationships while maintaining accountability, consistent with the values of NorthShore University HealthSystem.
- Develop and implement approaches to ensure NorthShore University HealthSystem stays abreast of market developments, regulatory changes and innovations in the design and delivery of total rewards programs.
- Lead change and innovation in HR and in total rewards progams to develop NorthShore’s HR function as a respected leader, recognized as a workplace of choice. Exhibit innate curiosity in exploring the “what if” opportunities involving how NorthShore more effectively recognizes and rewards desired outcomes.
The VP, Total Rewards also:
- Consistently supports NorthShore’s mission, values, and vision. Demonstrates personal commitment through active involvement and interest in spending time out of the office with operational leaders in the field.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward internal and external customers and team members. Promotes positive public relations with patients/residents, family members, guests, and others.
- Supports and adheres to all NorthShore University HealthSystem’s customer service, service excellence, and performance standards.
- Adheres to HIPAA requirements and maintains confidentiality of all data, including patient/resident, employee and operations information.
- Supports and participates in a collaborative team-oriented environment – cooperates and works together with all co-workers, plans and completes job duties, uses appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations and follows up as appropriate regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
- Completes all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organization.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in HR, demonstrating increasing responsibility over compensation, benefits, and retirement plans. A minimum of five years in a senior leadership position in a large complex organization, developing a total rewards vision and leading a team to execute a plan.
- Strong knowledge/experience working in not-for-profit healthcare is ideal and preferred. However, deep compensation and benefits expertise in other outside industries will be considered as well.
- Expert knowledge and experience in mergers and acquisition (M&A) due diligence and integration.
- Preferred certifications in compensation, benefits and retirement plans with SHRM, World at Work, and/or from other HR or finance credentialing organizations.
- High level interpersonal and leadership skills in building relationships to engage and support operating management, to collaborate with colleagues internally and externally and to provide effective leadership of the total rewards team. Demonstrated success achieving required “buy-in” from a wide variety of constituents.
- Unwavering integrity and committed to the values of NorthShore University HealthSystem.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources, finance, or related areas.
- MBA, MS, or MA preferred.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.