|Location:||Ohio, United States|
|Category:||Government/Not-For-Profit : Education|
To accomplish this mission, ASM provides the following services:
- Conferences & Expositions. ASM International has earned an exemplary reputation for hosting highly regarded events throughout the calendar year which connect executives in the materials science community with the latest information impacting the industry and their professions.
- Education. ASM's hands-on learning experiences take place both virtually as well as in the modern educational labs, benefiting from our recent $6 million facilities renovation.
- Digital Content. The ASM Digital Library provides convenient access to the world’s largest collection of information and data on the composition, structure, properties, processing, performance, and evaluation of engineering materials. Resources include:
- Scholarly Journals. ASM Journals are respected academic resources that cover a wide variety of subjects within the materials science field.
- Online Databases. ASM's diverse array of online databases save time for researchers by centralizing trusted, peer-reviewed information in a simple interface.
- News, Magazines, & Webinars. ASM print and digital publications cover critical industry topics such as Additive Manufacturing, Aerospace, Automotive, Ceramics, Corrosion, Electronic Device Failure Analysis, Heat Treating, Materials Characterization and Metallography, Shape Memory, Thermal Spray, and so much more.
ASM International values and seeks diverse and inclusive participation within the membership and profession it represents. ASM is committed to providing an environment that encourages and supports equal opportunity, free expression, freedom from discrimination, harassment and retaliation, full participation in all activities and leadership, and collaboration among people of different backgrounds. Further, it is ASM’s commitment to be inclusive and mindful of this diversity in our policies, programs, courses, and interactions with others.
The Executive Director will work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees, staff, and key external stakeholders to build on the organization’s rich legacy and address the evolving needs of the materials science professional communities. The Executive Director will provide inspirational, strategic leadership, and effective management of this $17M revenue organization with $32M in investments, and a 70 person staff and hundreds of volunteers. The Executive Director will ensure that ASM International provides a robust and relevant value proposition and fosters a collaborative culture of member engagement, innovation, education, and service.
Specifically, the Executive Director is responsible for the following:
- Strategic Direction. Develops and implements a comprehensive strategic plan in conjunction with the Board, ensuring continued relevance and evolution tied to changes in the industry. Facilitates and drives the development and successful implementation of the organization's operational plans to ensure alignment with financial and operational goals.
- Board Relations. Builds and maintains strong, collaborative, and transparent relationships and consistent communication with the Board of Trustees. This includes working with and at the direction of the Board to develop operational budgets, procedures, strategic plans, and other policies for Board approval and subsequent implementation. Provides regular feedback and reports to keep them appraised of progress and success in meeting key targets of strategic and operational plans.
- Staff Leadership. Provides effective leadership of a professional staff who demonstrate a commitment to excellent member service and delivery of high-quality, cutting-edge publishing, programs, and events. Sets a clear vision for goals and expectations, while encouraging an atmosphere that promotes collaboration and teamwork to support the mission and programs of the organization. Attracts, inspires, and retains a strong, motivated staff while developing future leaders for ASM.
External Relationships. Develops strong working relationships with a diverse, wide range of constituencies, in the public and private sectors, to build and support partnerships and coalitions consistent with ASM’s overall mission and core values. Represents ASM before members, public groups, media outlets, and key leaders in the materials science community.
- Enhancing Membership Base and Value to Members. Provides leadership to ensure delivery of relevant conferences and meetings, scholarly journals, and other services and programs that drive member value. Develops targeted programs to attract and retain new members. Builds upon current revenue sources and identifies new value-added services/products.
- Operational Oversight. Develops and administers an annual operating budget, exercising fiscal discipline over the investment of the organization’s resources, and ensuring the accuracy and integrity of financial information, internal controls, and reporting systems. Ensures that the organization’s governance structures, policies, and procedures are effective and compliant with all legal requirements. The Executive Director should demonstrate strong business acumen and ability to grow the Society’s bottom line, inspire action and achieve results.
- Membership Development. Engage with members, staff, and other stakeholders to find new or enhanced opportunities to address member and professional needs, programs, strategy, outreach, and meeting opportunities. Ensures ASM is positioned to proactively pursue and meet the expectations of next generation members and develop future leaders.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
ASM International seeks candidates of high ethical integrity, global mindset, and outstanding leadership experience to advance the organization’s mission. The ideal candidate will have relevant industry experience, background, and leadership competencies to advance the mission of ASM and foster a culture that exemplifies the values of the organization. The Executive Director must have a minimum of 15 years of progressive executive-level professional leadership experience in an organization of comparable size, complexity, and scope.
Specific experience and qualifications will include:
- Exceptional gravitas to serve as a compelling spokesperson for ASM, essential for maintaining the credibility and trust of members, key stakeholders, and the broader materials science communities.
- Track record for effectively leading the development and execution of a strategic plan in conjunction with a Board of Trustees is desired. Strong Board relations skills with a servant leadership style.
- Results-oriented with strong business acumen, a history of success in financial management and business growth. Track record of managing change, identifying, and implementing new initiatives and programs.
- Demonstrated success in providing proactive leadership, guidance and direction for staff and business operations. Experience attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining strong talent, and building and managing a high-performing team in a results-oriented and fast-paced environment. Ability to develop collaborative work environment that fosters excellence, integrity, accountability, teamwork, and cooperation.
- A basic understanding of science and engineering as well as well-informed insights into broader science, technology, and business influences.
- Business experience with nonprofit professional association/society experience is highly desirable.
- Experience and passion for implementing and fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and awareness.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally on behalf of ASM International to conferences, exhibitions, and other important industry events.
Bachelor’s degree required, M.B.A. or other advanced degree preferred.
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.