Senior Vice President/Chief Human Resources Officer
|Category:||Life Sciences/Healthcare : Consumer Health|
COMPANY: MidMichigan Health
About MidMichigan Health
Fiscal Year 2019 (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019)
Employees, Volunteers & Physicians: 8,700
Employed Physicians and Providers: 300
Licensed Beds: 722
Hospital Outpatient Clinic Visits: 632,939
Ambulatory Surgery Visits: 502,131
Physician Visits: 775,888
Home Health Visits: 100,108
Community Benefit (cost): $91M
Emergency Room Visits: 123,498
Acute Patient Days: 111,759
MidMichigan Health is a non-profit health system, headquartered in Midland, Michigan, affiliated with Michigan Medicine, the health care division of the University of Michigan. MidMichigan Health covers a 23-county region with medical centers in Midland, Alpena, Alma, Clare, Gladwin, Mt. Pleasant and West Branch. In addition to its Medical Centers, MidMichigan Health also offers both home health care and physician services, and has a strong commitment to medical education.
MidMichigan Physicians Group provides urgent care and medical offices in more than 30 specialties and subspecialties including cardiology, hematology/oncology, orthopedics, vascular surgery, family medicine and more. The MidMichigan Health Foundation supports patients and families served by MidMichigan Health by raising funds for equipment, services and programs. Currently, MidMichigan has more than 8,700 employees, volunteers, physicians and other personnel and provided more than $91 million in community benefits in fiscal year 2019.
About MidMichigan Health’s Partnership with Michigan Medicine
MidMichigan Health is aligned in a clinical and business partnership with Michigan Medicine, the academic medical center of the University of Michigan. MidMichigan Health and The University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) participate in quality improvement and assessment activities as part of an organized health care arrangement (OHCA) where the providers work jointly to help improve the quality of your care.
A national leader in advanced patient care, innovative research, and the training of physicians and medical scientists, Michigan Medicine is known for world-class medicine. In addition to the University of Michigan Medical School and the 1,750 physicians of its Faculty Group Practice, Michigan Medicine includes University Hospital, C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital, hundreds of outpatient clinics and approximately 40 health centers in four counties, as well as some of the nation’s top biomedical research and education programs.
The partnership between MidMichigan and the University of Michigan is intended to expand access, quality, and the level of care provided for patients who live in the 22-county region served by MidMichigan Health. It will also explore joint efforts in telemedicine, clinical data analysis and information technology, all of which will be key to successfully providing health care in the future, positioning both organizations to succeed in the new health care environment.
The SVP/CHRO is responsible for all aspects of Human Resources and Education across MidMichigan Health. This position is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of matrix management, succession planning, talent management, change management, organization and performance management, training and development, labor strategy, benefits, employee relations and compensation. This position also oversees Wellness and employee activities.
The SVP/CHRO supports MidMichigan Health’s success by ensuring alignment between the human resources goals and the overall strategic plan. This position remains committed to transparency and ensuring the purpose of MidMichigan Health can be met.
The SVP/CHRO leads an integrated Human Resources team at the system level. This position will set HR targets, recommend benefits, as well as develop short- and long-term HR plans. The SVP/CHRO will have a strong focus on workplace culture and employee engagement. This position will interact with the Board of Directors, Compensation Committee, external agencies regarding pension, labor, benefits, and other organizations critical to the success of MidMichigan Health.
The Senior Vice President/Chief Human Resources Officer reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer of MidMichigan Health.
The following areas report directly to this position:
• Director of HR Strategy
• Manager of Workforce Development
• Director of Total Rewards
• Director of HR Services • Director of Education Services & Labor Relations
• Director of Employee Health
• Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Hospital Administration or related advanced degree is required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources/Administration/Business or related discipline is required.
• Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive HR experience
• Minimum of five (5) years as a Chief Human Resources Officer or executive leader
• Experience aligning system-level, strategic HR needs with that of hospital/clinic operations and a track record of leading a complex portfolio within a multi-site health system
• Experience leading Human Resources in a matrixed operating system model
• History of quickly developing credibility and forging strong partnerships with senior leaders across a health system
• Experience with joint ventures (including academic medical centers), mergers & acquisitions, and any other deal activities regarding integration
• Successful track record of improving overall HR metrics, including but not limited to improved turnover, improved employee engagement scores, innovative benefit offerings and improved overall HR operations
• Experience with labor negotiations
• Current knowledge of HR systems: Benefits, salary administration, recruiting records and all appropriate knowledge of current laws and regulations (EEOC)
Leadership Skills & Competencies
• Purpose-driven leader with strong patient focus and results orientation
• Cultural fit with MidMichigan Health, delivering on the four core values of Excellence, Integrity, Teamwork and Accountability
• Strategic leader who understands that HR supports the purpose of the health system to provide safe, high-quality patient care
• Strong leadership skills with demonstrated experience building and leading high-performance teams, but who can also be a team member who follows another leader, or a team member who is responsible for producing original work
• Excellent facilitation and interpersonal skills. Confident and self-assured with an ability to be courageous in tackling difficult HR and organizational issues
• Strong critical thinking/problem-solving skills
• Transparent and authentic leader who values differences in thought and experience and appreciates the value of diversity
• Ability to effectively initiate, lead and implement change
• Outcome-driven leader, passionate about making improvements and implementing strategic initiatives, with the ability to deliver the requisite HR results through innovation, vision and collaboration
• Skilled negotiator who functions with a high level of emotional intelligence
We have established the following priorities for this position:
• Establish personal and professional credibility with the system leadership teams. Gain respect and build trust with colleagues and the HR team.
• Become known as a strategic and responsive HR leader who takes a proactive and solutions-oriented approach to MidMichigan Health’s organizational needs.
• Become a trusted HR advisor to the Chief Executive Officer/President and Chief Operating Officer as well as to the Executive and Senior Leadership Teams.
• Establish credibility with the various governance bodies (Board, Compensation Committee, External Auditors).
• Maintain and continue to develop the highly competent HR team that currently exists at MidMichigan Health.
Strategic and HR Operations
• Develop strategies to strengthen overall HR performance at MidMichigan Health to ensure long-term viability.
• Set the vision for employee engagement to be top decile.
• Identify and implement tools, dashboards and technology that will create consistent, timely and reliable HR information.
• Collaboratively work with Michigan Medicine to optimize the affiliation.
• Develop and retain high performing talent for the system.
Love Where You Live
Natural beauty. Exciting venues for sports, culture and the arts. Close proximity to high-quality colleges and universities. There are plenty of reasons why the middle of Michigan is an outstanding place to live at any stage of your life or career.
While you’ll enjoy many amenities found in big cities, you’ll also experience the convenience of living in smaller towns. The cost of living is low. And our locations provide fast, easy commutes, so you’ll be challenged by your job in a top-flight health system – not by your daily drive.
About Midland, Michigan
Visit Midland and you will soon realize that you are in a progressive and family-minded community. Voted number 4 in a nation-wide survey of The Best Small Cities to Raise a Family, Midland, Michigan boasts a small-town atmosphere coupled with big-city amenities. Art, education, family and business are valued and supported. You can enjoy plays and musicals, art exhibits and fairs, the symphony and internationally-known entertainers all year long at the Midland Center for the Arts and during the Matrix Midland festival.
Midland is known for its public school system - rated in the top five percent in the state. Quality higher education institutions are also plentiful. Central Michigan University, Davenport University, Delta College, Northwood University and Saginaw Valley State University are located within thirty minutes from downtown.
Recreation opportunities abound. Sail, swim or fish on the largest freshwater coastline in the United States. Visit more than 14 miles of beautiful nature trails at the 1200-acre Chippewa Nature Center. Walk, bike or blade the Rail Trail. Enjoy flowers and foliage at Dow Gardens. Play tennis at the Community Tennis Center - the site of Michigan's only USTA professional tennis tournament - with 10 indoor courts. Join an adult or youth soccer team and play at the Midland Soccer Complex - one of the best in the nation. Or skate at the new 107,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art Midland Civic Arena, featuring two NHL-sized rinks and an Olympic-sized rink.
Midland also boasts a unique mix of hometown-based and nationally recognized businesses, restaurants and shops.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.