Director, Financial Services
|Location:||New York, USA|
|Category:||Government/Not-For-Profit : Education|
BSR is an organization of sustainable business experts that works with its global network of the world’s leading companies to build a just and sustainable world. With offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR provides insight, advice, and collaborative initiatives to help you see a changing world more clearly, create long-term business value, and scale impact.
BSR’s mission is to work with business to create a just and sustainable world. They envision a world in which everyone can lead a prosperous and dignified life within the boundaries of the Earth’s natural resources. BSR’s culture is highly collaborative, they are impact and mission driven. Everything is shared, which is a culture translated into their working groups with clients and something that’s unusual to find among the mainstream consulting firms who also work in the Sustainability and ESG advisory space.
Across their 300 member organizations, BSR offers membership, sustainability consulting, collaboration and research. The areas of advisory expertise include climate change, DEI, human rights, inclusive economy, supply chain sustainability, sustainability management and women’s empowerment.
The beginnings of BSR emerged in 1991-1993 when members of the Social Venture Network designed the organization to serve as the voice of progressive businesses in policy formation in Washington, D.C. Since then the organization has significantly grown its member base, global footprint and staff size to 150, providing one to one consulting to clients at C-suite level.
The Financial Services practice at BSR is one of the fastest growing divisions in the organization and holds 60 out of their 300 member organizations. Within Financial Services the member organizations fall into more specific industry categories such as banks, private capital investors, asset managers, insurance companies, payments businesses, and financial technology companies. The key advisory topic within this sector is how to integrate ESG and sustainability considerations into clients corporate functions, investments, products, and services including providing guidance on ESG investing trends, standards, relationships, and expectations. For example, BSR advises private equity firms on how to integrate ESG into their investment systems and decisions while at the same time providing guidance to their portfolio companies on best practice ESG approaches.
BSR have a Director Financial Services as the current post holder however he will be moving on to another role within the organization and so the need for his replacement has arisen. The Director will need to be comfortable and adept at both delivering on existing business (they will have a 40% billable target) and prospecting for new business in both current and non-member organizations. While the project coverage will sit broadly across Sustainability and ESG, the work tends to be highly strategic and heavily governance oriented, working directly with the C-suite on their strategy and approach towards sustainability and associated topics.
BSR tend to find that the best fit in terms of candidates are those coming from other non-profits, NGO’s, business advisory firms, industry, and consulting. The ideal candidate will bring 12-15+ years sector experience, some consulting / advisory experience, working either for a consulting firm or internally with key stakeholders or clients and a proven track record on the delivery of ESG and Sustainability engagements coupled with the ability to prospect and close new business engagements. Due to most Financial Services clients being based in New York, there is a preference toward candidates being based in this region.
This is an exciting position for a seasoned executive to join a highly collaborative yet dynamic working culture. A place where there is a clear purpose and mission for the greater good and a chance to work on solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges within the Financial Services sector.
- Lead BSR’s financial services practice, consisting of 8-10 BSR staff, and be responsible for the leadership of overall business execution, industry strategy, and financial performance. The Director will be a day-to-day manager and decision maker for the team members.
- Play a leading role in delivering consulting services to member and non-member companies in the Financial Services sub-industries cited above.
- Provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to companies.
- Oversee 5-8 ongoing projects at any one time, actively leading project teams, and providing thought partnership to project managers.
- Be responsible for recruiting new member companies, deepening relationships with business leaders in Financial Services companies, and develop new business opportunities across the region.
- Be responsible for driving revenue generation in partnership with BSR’s global area of expertise teams and draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities.
- Serve as an account relationship manager for 5-8 global companies and build working relationships with other BSR financial services members. The Director may also be required to provide services to companies in other sectors/locations according to business needs.
- Represent BSR to external audiences by presenting at relevant industry conferences; demonstrating thought leadership through writing and publishing blogs, reports, etc.; forming beneficial external relationships and partnerships; and proactively working to create opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
- Master’s degree in business, law, public policy, environmental management, or other relevant discipline required.
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management, and exercising influence with senior leaders.
- Significant business / consulting experience (at least 12-15 years) required to perform the key functions of a consulting leader, including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working with, or in, at least one of the following sectors: banking, asset management, private equity, fintech, and/or insurance.
- Deep knowledge and experience in key sustainability content areas, such as: sustainability management and strategy, climate change, etc.
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, training programs, performance management, change management, etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members to improve skills and effectiveness.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Language skills: Fluency in English required, additional language skills a strong plus.
- Willingness to undertake up to 20% business travel post COVID.
- Collaborative mindset and the intellectual agility to work with companies across various industries and with colleagues who are expert on other sustainability issues.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.