Director, Hardware Engineering
|Category:||Industrial : Energy|
Headquartered in Richmond, British Columbia, Ideon Technologies (“Ideon” or the “Company”) uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image down to 1km beneath the Earth's surface.
- Assume accountability for the entire product from start to finish while ensuring all project objectives and deliverables are met.
- Create department roadmaps for functional and project excellence, ensure that hardware technical standards for the department are maintained and that technical decisions are aligned with long-term priorities.
- Ensure the hardware deliverables are of high quality and that they adhere to Ideon’s design controls.
- Analyze stakeholder needs across all workstreams to identify gaps, identify risks, and define mitigation for an acceptable and timely solution.
- Own product hardware requirements, design and development, and transfer to manufacturing.
- Collaborate with cross-functional managers across R&D, Software Development teams, and Manufacturing to meet business goals.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders such as Marketing, QA/RA, Service, Manufacturing, R&D to ensure alignment on project scope, design control documentation, quality, and schedule.
- Develop and maintain project related documentation such as schedules, action logs, risk registers, and updates.
- Efficiently communicate project status to stakeholders and leadership via presentations, dashboards, email, and verbally.
- Recommend and advise hardware upgrades.
- Directly supervise employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provide guidance to cross-functional teams as needed.
- Create key performance indicators (KPI) and process and product quality metrics to assess the success of hardware projects; use KPIs to make continuous process improvements.
- Review and approve hardware technical documents in architecture, design, coding inspections, and participate in systems, hardware, and cross-functional technical reviews.
- Hold task owners accountable for delivering on time and with high quality.
- Identify project risks proactively and implement countermeasures to mitigate the risks.
Year One Critical Success Factors
Within the first 12 months in the role the Director, Hardware Engineer will have
- Developed a robust understanding of the technology within the first six months.
- Addressed technical and complex challenges of physical products.
- Helped deploy improved next generation muon sensor technology.
- Be deeply engaged in the deployment of the next project that is currently in pilot phase to commercialization
Experience and Professional Qualifications
You have strong technical vision, commitment to quality, and a drive for continuous improvement, having seen and learned from various challenges over your career. Your personal experience in innovative hardware development in a complex environment gives you the credibility to lead and coach a team with deep insight and understanding. As a transparent, persuasive, and technically astute leader, you inspire others to learn, ask questions, and follow your guidance. Not one to shy away from a complex challenge, you exercise creativity in problem-solving and tenacity in shepherding issues to a successful conclusion. You thrive in a fast-paced environment where the market opportunity is massive and the approach to solutioning is iterative and flexible.
In addition, your credentials, attributes, and qualifications include:
- Minimum 10 years of engineering experience, having at least 5 years in a leadership or supervisory capacity.
- A degree in Geophysics/Geoscience/Engineering Physics/Mechanical Engineering /Electrical Engineering or related field of study.
- Exposure to several disciplines in the engineering field with a focus on mechanical, electrical and/or software across industrial sectors like oil & gas, mining etc.
- Experience with design and development of hardware and embedded firmware for products from initial design to release to manufacturing.
- Familiarity with new sensor technologies.
- Experience leading projects and driving tasks to completion to a defined schedule.
- Experience in managing complex development projects.
- Experience in building new disruptive technologies in an R&D environment.
- Experience with products that have significant external environmental impact.
- A demonstrated record of responsibility for complex projects and delivering results in a management function while leading engineers.
- A team player with the ability to think conceptually, flexibly, and strategically.
- Ability to anticipate new skills and tool needs based on the product and technical roadmaps.
- Experience in managing systems/firmware development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coach and mentor staff and a history of developing high performing teams.
- Resilience as a leader.
Ideon places significant emphasis during hiring to cultural fit and alignment. This is how they articulate their core values:
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science. We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver. We are imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified as a team, personally accountable. We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human. We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We are in this business to win, but that does not mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
|Director Software Engineering Richmond Dec 6, 2022||Richmond||Dec 6, 2022|
|Executive Director Monterey, California Jun 6, 2023||Monterey, California||Jun 6, 2023|
|Finance Director and Controller Atlanta May 31, 2023||Atlanta||May 31, 2023|
|Clinical Director, Perioperative Services Sacramento, CA Apr 11, 2023||Sacramento, CA||Apr 11, 2023|
|Sea Shepherd - Executive Director Remote Feb 27, 2023||Remote||Feb 27, 2023|
|Director, Business Development Remote - US West May 18, 2023||Remote - US West||May 18, 2023|
|Managing Director, Asset Services - Atlanta Atlanta, GA Jun 13, 2022||Atlanta, GA||Jun 13, 2022|
|Chief Executive Officer/ Executive Director Mt. Laurel, NJ May 17, 2023||Mt. Laurel, NJ||May 17, 2023|
|Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer Washington, DC May 10, 2023||Washington, DC||May 10, 2023|