Our client, ALTA, seeks a Chief Executive Officer. This individual will serve as a strategic leader and advocate for ALTA, working to address the dynamic needs of members and the title industry.
Founded in 1907, American Land Title Association (“ALTA”) is the premiere trade association representing more than 6,000 title insurance agents, abstractors, and underwriters across the United States. As the national voice for the title industry, ALTA serves a vital role in advocating on behalf of members while providing access to robust educational resources and networking opportunities. ALTA has an annual budget of nearly $10M, staff of 25, and is represented by an active ALTA member in every county in the United States. ALTA members search, review, and insure land titles to protect homebuyers and mortgage lenders in real estate.
The American Land Title Association exists to help members excel in a changing business and regulatory environment. To accomplish this mission, ALTA advocates on behalf of members’ and the industry’s interests, provides education and information to members, offers networking opportunities, and creates and promotes professional industry standards. Further, ALTA offers a robust library of publications designed to help members grow in their profession, gain access to thought leadership from the nation’s industry experts, and learn about emerging trends. Members also have the opportunity to engage by participating in a diverse array of programming including ALTA ONE, ALTA SPRINGBOARD, the ALTA Advocacy Summit, Innovation Bootcamps and a myriad of information exchange meetings serving various industry segments.
In 2019 ALTA will focus on five strategic priorities to help ALTA members:
PLAN FOR CHANGE THROUGH INNOVATION & QUALITY OPERATIONS
• Innovation, Technology and Operational Efficiencies
➢ Put the industry in the best position to solve problems, inspire innovative ideas, and improve the real estate transfer process.
➢ Be the resource of information and requirements on technological advances, such as digital closing and information security.
• ALTA Registry
➢ Promote ALTA Registry as an industry utility to confirm the identity of title insurance agents and real estate attorneys.
• Talent Focus
➢ Promote the title and real estate settlement profession to prospective employees to attract talent and engage future leaders in members and ALTA.
➢ Boost workforce skills, knowledge and experience.
• Best Practices
➢ Improve and promote ALTA Title Insurance and Settlement Company Best Practices as the industry compliance management program standard and a critical business consulting tool for lenders seeking consistent, compliant service in the real estate transfer process.
STAY RELEVANT IN THE SECONDARY MARKET:
• Engage with Government Sponsored Enterprises, private market investors and their regulators so they continue to benefit from title insurance to responsibly manage their risk and provide value to their customers.
• Collaborate to improve and innovate the real estate transfer process.
COMMUNICATE THE BENEFITS OF WHAT YOU DO:
• Provide members with tools to communicate why their customers benefit from title insurance.
• Teach consumers about the homebuying process through the Homeowner Outreach Program.
• Improve the online presence of title and settlement companies.
PROTECT DATA & MONEY:
• Educate members about security threats to their businesses in both cyber and physical environments.
• Collaborate with partners to raise consumer awareness about information security and wire transfer fraud.
• Promote best practices and public policy to protect personal funds and information.
HARNESS THE POWER OF VALUES & CULTURE:
• We Lead, We Deliver, We Protect: Promote "Our Values" program to strengthen company values and culture.
• Serve as the industry's cultural compass, highlight the universal core ideals ALTA members embrace and reflect the professional strength of the title and settlement industry.
• Assist in compliance with the laws and regulations that govern the industry, educate and communicate with homeowners about the benefits of products and services, and encourage strong, ethical corporate cultures.
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) will serve as a strategic leader and advocate for ALTA, partnering with the Board of Governors, staff and key stakeholders to address the dynamic needs of members and the title industry. The CEO will be responsible for overseeing the association’s operations with a strong emphasis on building and retaining membership and ensuring that ALTA provides a robust and relevant value proposition.
S/he will provide inspirational leadership and effective management of the organization and staff. The CEO will foster a collaborative culture of member and staff engagement, innovation, education, and advocacy.
Specifically, the CEO is responsible for the following:
• Board Relations. Builds and maintains a trusting, collaborative, and transparent relationship with the Board of Governors. Provides regular feedback to the Board on strategic, operational, and programmatic matters impacting the organization, keeping them apprised of progress and challenges in meeting key goals in strategic and operational plans.
• External Relationships. Serves as the organization’s primary spokesperson and proactively represents ALTA’s members before a wide range of constituencies including policymakers, the media, peer associations, and other external stakeholder groups. Builds and supports partnerships and coalitions consistent with ALTA’s overall mission and priorities. Develops, maintains, and strengthens relationships with government officials to advance policy priorities and advocate on behalf of membership before key government bodies.
• Strategic Direction. Develops and implements a long-range strategic plan for ALTA in conjunction with the Board, ensuring the organization continues to innovate, adapt and grow in response to evolving industry trends. Anticipates macroeconomic trends and their impact on ALTA’s strategy. Provides leadership in achieving the vision and mission of the organization and ensures alignment with financial and operational goals.
• Membership Value. Ensures ALTA offers a strong value proposition to members and delivers relevant offerings, tools, and services to meet their evolving needs. Develops timely and relevant programs and educational offerings to help members adapt to a rapidly changing industry.
• Revenue Generation. Builds upon current revenue sources and identifies new value-added services/products to diversify revenue. Develops innovative programming, publications, events, and educational resources to continually increase value for members. Actively drives ALTA’s long-term financial growth and stability to secure funding from a diversity of sources.
• Staff Leadership. Leads and engages professional team of approximately 25 staff who demonstrate a commitment to excellent member service and delivery of relevant and timely publications, educational programs, tools, advocacy, and events. Attracts, inspires, and retains a strong, motivated staff while developing future leaders for ALTA. Maintains a culture of customer service, performance and accountability.
• Financial and Operational Oversight. Develops and ensures a balanced budget annually that is aligned to the strategic goals of the organization. Develops strategies to enhance the overall financial health of the organization. Provides fiscally responsible administration in an effort to maintain and grow the organization’s financial position, while anticipating market trends that may impact ALTA’s budget.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
ALTA is seeking a strategic leader of high ethical integrity, with the relevant experience, background and leadership competencies to advance the organization’s mission and impact with members. S/he must have a minimum of 10 years of executive-level leadership experience in an organization of comparable size, complexity, and scope. The CEO will be a humble, charismatic, and forward thinking “servant” leader who will serve as an ambassador for members, while advancing policy priorities with government officials.
Specific experience and qualifications will include:
• A strong commitment and passion for advancing the mission and vision of ALTA.
• A track record for effectively leading the development and execution of a strategic plan in conjunction with a Board of Governors and staff.
• Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, including the ability to relate well to a wide range of constituencies. A natural understanding of people, relationships, institutions, and politics.
• A collaborative, inclusive leader and team player who is collegial, and open to partnering with others. Possesses political savvy and diplomatic skills.
• A track record for effectively empowering and developing staff including recruiting and retaining top caliber professional talent.
• An effective advocate for ALTA’s public policy priorities. A reputation for successfully operating in a bi-partisan manner.
• Stellar communications skills, serving as a principal liaison to draw awareness to the organization’s values, vision and mission. Superb listening skills with an ability to clearly articulate the message and command the respect of his/her audience.
• Visionary leadership with an ability to operate as a solutions architect, identifying emerging industry trends and their long-term impact on ALTA’s members and the real estate industry as a whole.
• Proven management, business, and financial acumen within an organization of similar scale and
complexity. Technology savvy with an understanding of how to leverage new tools to better serve members and communicate about the importance of the industry.
• An ability to generate new revenue sources while managing the operating budget in a cost constrained environment.
• Unquestionable integrity, credibility and character, demonstrated high moral and ethical behavior.
Master’s degree is preferred; Bachelor’s degree required.
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
For further information, please contact Becky Graham at Becky.Graham@KornFerry.com
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.