Our client, XR Association ("XRA"), seeks a Chief Executive Officer. This individual will serve as the association's chief advocate and spokesperson for the XR industry, while working to promote the benefits of XR technology and building the infrastructure to support the organization's growth.
The XR Association (“XRA”) is the foremost global organization representing headset and technology manufacturers and platform providers who power the virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality (MR) industries. Since its inception in 2016 as the Global Virtual Reality Association, the XRA has expanded its industry representation to reflect the broader community, as well as future XR technologies developing in this rapidly evolving space. This expansion, including a new name, has provided the association with the opportunity to relaunch as an influential body and strong resource for stakeholders poised for exponential growth. XRA promotes dynamic global growth of the XR industry through responsible development and adoption of VR with best practices, research, and dialogue across stakeholders.
XRA brings together international experts and the leading manufacturers of AR and VR headsets and technology to educate and serve as a resource for researchers, policymakers, and partners across the XR industry. This includes efforts to anticipate and mitigate challenges in the responsible development and deployment of XR technology. The XRA convenes these diverse industry experts to collaborate on educational resources and promote best practices in the field. Together, these groups enable the development of relevant research and define and promote standards that bolster the global growth of the XR industry.
In order to improve fundamental design principals and applications across all platforms, the XRA recently released a first of its kind primer for XR application developers. XR Primer 1.0 outlines a set of fundamental design principles to improve applications across all platforms and create an industry-wide standard for the development of immersive reality experiences. The XR Primer 1.0 represents a collaboration of the top headset and technology manufacturers in the XR industry, and features input from developers and experts from leading global companies.
Among the highly influential and cutting edge industry leaders that participate as members are Google, HTC VIVE, Facebook and Oculus, Samsung, and Sony Interactive Entertainment. As the industry continues to evolve, XRA is dedicated to expanding its market penetration to engage new members in the areas of recreation, public health, workforce training, and science.
The CEO will serve as the association’s chief advocate and spokesperson for the XR industry globally before a diverse range of stakeholders and leaders in industry, government, other associations, academia, and the media. S/he will proactively advance the organization’s mission; collaborate with the Board to develop and execute a strategic plan; advance cutting-edge research and educational materials essential to advancing the industry’s growth; promote the benefits of XR technology; and build the organization’s infrastructure to support its growth. Specifically, key responsibilities including the following:
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open dialog regarding the results and impact of financial and programmatic performance against major strategic milestones. Develop an annual operational plan in support of these key strategic objectives and the mission, including program metrics and activities, required resources, and operational budget.
- Serve as a proactive and passionate advocate and voice for XR technology. Effectively represent the industry in the media and to government entities, private companies and other organizations to stay in front of emerging issues and trends and create positive partnerships. Provide research to shape the dialog around and promote the benefits of adoption of progressive XR technologies across diverse industries.
- Ensure the XRA offers a compelling value proposition and relevant services and products to drive meaningful value to current and prospective members.
- Develop strong relationships with business and industry leaders, other relevant associations, and thought leaders to build coalitions around key issues impacting the XR industry.
- Forge key relationships with government officials both in the U.S. and overseas who influence the success of the industry.
- Strengthen the association’s financial position through membership growth and by identifying diverse sources of funding and new lines of revenue.
- Lead day-to-day activities and communication with members; helping to lead regular meetings, gatherings, and events.
- Help to organize and lead research initiatives.
The CEO will be a strong, independent, and charismatic leader with entrepreneurial drive to build a solid legacy for the future of XRA. S/he must be a visionary leader, with at least 10 years of relevant senior executive level experience. S/he must be passionate about advancing the growth of the XR industry, with strong interest in the technology sector. S/he must possess the highest level of integrity, essential for garnering the credibility and trust of members, key stakeholders, government officials and the broader XR community. The ideal candidate is tenacious and results-oriented, working collaboratively with a Board to produce demonstrable results for the sector.
Specific experience and qualifications will include:
- Track record for creating successful, dynamic, and evolving organizations. Start-up or early stage experience is a strong plus. A leader who is effective at simultaneously standing up the infrastructure of an organization, while advancing its objectives and mission.
- Experience working with a volunteer Board to collaboratively develop a strategic plan and forge consensus on forward-looking public policy and positions and research.
- A strategic and creative thinker with the agility to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines. Comfortable managing with ambiguity.
- Excellent coalition building skills, key to forging and sustaining critical relationships with a broad range of constituencies built on trust. Diplomatic skills.
- Superior interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the experience and desire to be an engaging spokesperson, relationship builder, and ambassador. Persuasive and capable of quickly responding to and building consensus in a rapidly developing policy environment.
- Experienced government affairs professional with a reputation for working effectively on a bi-partisan basis.
- Successful record of growing an organization’s revenue, establishing innovative sources of income, and driving sustainable growth through membership retention and attraction.
- Effective at managing the financial health of an organization, attracting and retaining staff, and managing external resources.
- Outstanding communications skills; an active listener.
Master’s degree is preferred; Bachelor’s degree required.
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
In order to apply, please submit resumes and letters of interest to Becky Graham, Sr. Associate at email@example.com.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.