Senior Vice President/Chief Human Resources Officer
|Category:||Life Sciences/Healthcare : Consumer Health|
TITLE: Senior Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer
COMPANY: Aspirus, Inc.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: The SVP, CHRO reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer.
Aspirus is a non-profit, community-directed health system based in Wausau, Wisconsin. Its 8,700 employees are focused on improving the health and well-being of people throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Aspirus serves communities through four hospitals in Michigan and six hospitals in Wisconsin, 50 clinics, home health and hospice care, pharmacies, critical care and air-medical transport, medical goods, nursing homes, a broad network of physicians and a health plan with enrollment of 31,000 members. Aspirus has been recognized for three consecutive years by IBM Watson Health as a Top 15 Health System in its annual study identifying the top performing health systems in the country. Aspirus is the healthcare leader in north central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and is positioned well as a system to continue to grow.
Aspirus is financially strong. It finished Fiscal Year 2020 (which ended June 30, 2020) with an operating margin of 8.2%.
The Aspirus Mission
We heal people, promote health and strengthen communities.
The Aspirus Vision
Aspirus is a catalyst for creating healthy, thriving communities, trusted and engaged above all others.
Aspirus Core Values
- Compassion – We demonstrate caring in all we do and cherish the honor of improving lives.
- Accountability – We commit to our work, recognize our power to make a difference, and embrace the responsibility to advocate for each person we serve.
- Collaboration – As a team we improve our patients’ lives; through partnerships we improve the health of our communities.
- Foresight – We plan and act today to impact the future and sustain and grow vital resources for those who need us.
- Joy – We work with happiness and enthusiasm; we celebrate successes and build a positive environment.
Reporting to the Aspirus President/CEO, the Senior Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer is accountable for continuously aligning all Human Resources (HR) programs, processes, structures and strategies to support the execution of Aspirus’ mission, vision, values and strategies. He/she oversees all HR functions, including Total Rewards, Talent Delivery, Human Resources Information System (HRIS), Organizational Learning and Development and Employee Health/Wellness and field HR operations. The SVP, CHRO serves as a key strategic advisor to the President/CEO and senior leaders in developing long term organizational strategies.
Principal responsibilities include:
- Oversees Total Rewards:
- Develops and implements contemporary pay delivery systems for staff and leaders.
- Analyzes markets and makes recommendations on annual pay programs.
- Oversees the management at-risk compensation program, with accountabilities to the Aspirus, Inc. Compensation Committee.
- Oversees Talent Delivery:
- Develops and annually updates 3-year workforce recruitment plan to anticipate future needs.
- Assures recruitment and on-boarding processes are effective and efficient to reduce time-to-fill and foster retention.
- Oversees HRIS:
- Assures Infor Global Human Resources System (GHR) is maintained in a timely and accurate way and that all HR systems are fully utilized to create efficient operations and relevant workforce information.
- Oversees development of HR metrics/reports for both the HR department and the system.
- Oversees Organizational Learning and Development:
- Takes a lead role in assuring the Aspirus culture supports the health system’s mission, vision, values and creates an engaging environment which fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Assures core competencies are met at all levels of the organization.
- Assures leaders and staff are developed to their fullest capabilities and that learning systems are in place to address needs.
- Develops leadership succession plans.
- Oversees regular employee engagement surveys and follow up actions to address opportunities for improvement.
- Advises the President/CEO and executives on organizational matters, including organizational structure, teamwork, and development needs.
- Oversees Employee Health/Wellness:
- Assures all employee health requirements for employees are met, to include OSHA compliance.
- Oversees wellness and resiliency/well-being programs and ensures they are in place to meet the needs of all employees.
- Oversees the Aspirus system’s workers compensation program and workplace safety initiatives.
- Oversees HR Field Operations:
- Oversees the implementation of all Aspirus system-level programs through “dotted-line oversight of field Vice Presidents of HR and HR Business Partners (has direct line accountability for the Vice President of HR for Aspirus Wausau Hospital/Aspirus Medical Group and Post Acute Care).
- Ensures that programs are in place at all Business Units to effectively address employee issues.
- Establishes Aspirus system-wide labor relations strategies and collaborates with Aspirus legal counsel and HR Vice Presidents to assure local labor relations are coordinated effectively and within Aspirus system-wide policies and programs.
- Serves as a member of the Corporate Executive Council, which is the senior executive group accountable for all Aspirus strategies and operations.
- Chairs the Organizational Effectiveness Council, which is accountable for aligning all human resources programs and processes to the organization’s mission, vision, values and strategies.
- Serves as Executive staff liaison with the Aspirus, Inc. Compensation Committee, which is accountable for Executive and Physician Compensation oversight and the organization’s management succession planning. In collaboration with the Senior Vice President/Chief Strategy Officer, develops annual system Pillar Scorecard and aligned/cascaded goals for Aspirus, Inc. Compensation Committee approval.
- Oversees the development of short term (fiscal year) and long term (3-5 years) human resources strategies and annually develops “top box” metrics for the “people pillar” of the Aspirus System Scorecard.
- In collaboration with the Senior Vice President/Chief Strategy Officer, develops annual system scorecard and aligned/cascaded goals.
- Oversees HR annual operating budget and budgets for overall salaries and benefits for the organization.
- Continuously develops leaders within the HR function to grow leadership competencies and leadership depth.
- Assures Aspirus, Inc.’s community presence is realized by participating in community leadership organizations, business organizations, and service groups.
- Eight to ten years’ human resources responsibility with at least five years of executive/ management experience in a multi-organizational corporate environment.
- Experience with healthcare, labor relations, compensation and benefits, recruitment, retention, organizational design, engagement, mergers/acquisitions, employee health/wellness, diversity/inclusion programs and leadership/employee development.
- A combination of private sector and healthcare experience at a senior level of HR would be desirable.
- Extensive senior-level executive experience in human resources and organizational development within a large, complex, multi-site services organization.
- A proven track record of success in leading an organization with a highly engaged workforce and best-in-class HR practices.
- Excellent team player and builder of teams coupled with the ability to serve as a trusted advisor to the executive team leaders.
- Experience with labor relations and negotiations is desirable.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) as certified by the HR Certification Institute is beneficial.
- Excellent judgment.
- Highly collaborative.
- Superior communication verbally and in writing.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Superior ability to coach and mentor.
- Superior ability to lead, manage, mediate and negotiate.
- Superior ability to manage competing interests.
- Refined ability to advance effectively while dealing with ambiguity.
- Refined ability to create a climate of trust and collaboration.
- Unwavering ethics and integrity. Highly trustworthy.
- Strong business acumen.
Annual competencies as required by Aspirus and/or various regulatory agencies based on entity and/or job position.
Knowledge of healthcare human resources normally acquired through completion of a Master’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.