Executive Vice President
|Category:||Government/Not-For-Profit : Education|
Position -- Executive Vice President/Executive Director (EVP/ED)
Company -- Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY)
Location -- Westbury, NY
Reporting Relationship -- The Executive Vice President/Executive Director will report to the Board of Trustees.
Website -- https://www.mssny.org/
The Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY) is a non-profit organization committed to representing the medical profession as a whole and advocating on their behalf regarding health-related issues, responsibilities, and rights. MSSNY strives to promote and maintain high standards in medical education and in the practice of medicine in order to ensure that quality medical care is available to the public. MSSNY is an organization of approximately 30,000 licensed physicians, medical residents, and medical students in New York State. For over 200 years, MSSNY has been representing the interests of patients and their physicians in an ongoing effort to assure quality health care for all New Yorkers.
Mission: To advance the health of the residents of our State by promoting a favorable environment for medicine through advocacy, education and professional community for New York State physicians.
Vision: The Medical Society of the State of New York shall be the leading professional organization uniting all physicians to promote excellent healthcare of the people of New York State.
Purpose: The purpose of the Medical Society of the State of New York shall be:
- To federate into one organization the medical profession of the State of New York.
- To contribute to the professional and personal development of member physicians by representing the profession as a whole and advocating health-related rights, responsibilities and issues. These actions are designed to promote a favorable environment for medicine and improvement of the health of the residents of New York State.
- To serve as a resource for its members and assist them in addressing the many issues and needs which they face in providing health care to their patients.
- To enhance the delivery of medical care of high quality to all people in the most economical manner, and to act to promote and maintain high standards in medical education and in medicine in an effort to ensure that quality medical care is available to the public.
- To seek to educate the public regarding important health care issues, including identification and discussion of their implications for patients and physicians in the current medical practice environment.
- To seek to attain these goals by acting, to the fullest extent possible, in concert with organizations and agencies which have similar aims.
- To inform and promote public opinion in regard to the problems of medicine and health for the best interests of the people of the State of New York.
The Executive Vice President/Executive Director leads and manages the day-to-day operations and administration of the MSSNY. S/he works collaboratively with the Board of Trustees/Council to develop and implement its strategic, operational, financial, legislative/regulatory goals, objectives, and policies in order to advance the Society’s mission. The EVP/ED is expected to listen and to be responsive to members’ needs and concerns and to be responsible for membership growth. S/he is to support and encourage all initiatives designed to enhance the medical profession’s image and improve physician job satisfaction.
In addition, the Executive Vice President/Executive Director will:
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees and Council, develop and manage the annual budget, with alignment to the strategic plan, to maintain and enhance the organization’s long-term fiscal health.
- Develop alternate and/or new revenue streams.
- Develop and implement, in conjunction with MSSNY’s leadership, the organization’s strategic plan, ensuring that its activities, policies, communications, and resources support the plan and the needs of its membership.
- Formulate, plan, and recommend, in conjunction with the senior management team, for approval by the Board, HOD, and Council basic policies and programs to achieve the objectives and goals of the Society.
- Direct, supervise and coordinate all programs, projects and major activities of the Society designed to improve a physician’s career/personal satisfaction.
- Foster strong working relationships between the physician leadership and the management staff to effectively accomplish organizational goals and priority initiatives
- Provide the Board with guidance and advice on emerging issues.
- Maintain regular communications with the Society’s leadership, Board of Trustees and Governing Council to keep them apprised of Society priorities and activities.
- Position MSSNY staff to best maintain, develop and advance the Society’s Legislative and Regulatory programs.
- Consistently promote the value of membership in the MSSNY. Be a proactive leader in developing innovative strategies to attract, retain and grow membership.
- Establish and strengthen collaborative alliances and partnerships that advance the Society’s priorities with physician and management leaders statewide, including physician stakeholders (such as those representing private practice, group practices, and hospital system affiliated groups, in addition to health systems, medical schools, county and specialty societies, and national organizations), and non-physician stakeholders.
- Serve, in conjunction with its physician leaders, as the Society’s management spokesperson to audiences that are both internal (physician leadership and staff) and external (members/potential members, policymakers, affiliated and collaborating organizations). Communicate as required with the media and with government to effectively communicate the MSSNY’s position on a variety of healthcare issues.
- Recruit, train, motivate and terminate, when necessary, all employees of the organization. Maintain a sound and efficient organizational structure for the Society and build and promote a positive culture.
- Maintain and improve relationships with federation partners such as the specialty and the County Medical Societies.
- Execute decisions, contracts, grants, and similar commitments by the House of Delegates, Board of Trustees, and Council.
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following qualifications, or demonstrate equivalent experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of senior executive management experience either in an association, business, or a health-related organization of similar size and complexity. Experience working collaboratively with physicians is highly desirable.
- A calm and respectful demeanor with excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Creative leader who is effective at fostering innovation and bringing new ideas to fruition.
- Healthcare industry, policy, membership organization, government, non-profit or other leadership experience/knowledge is desirable.
- Board relations and governance oversight experience.
- Strategic planning and implementation experience in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
- A hands-on leader, who can inspire, mentor, and lead both his/her staff and our members.
- A quick study individual who can drill down into the details on complex issues when necessary, and find solutions to problems.
- Strong relationship building skills. Proven success in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse groups both internally and externally. S/he will foster collaboration with internal staff as well as with the public, the media, community leaders, government leaders, leaders of the state’s component medical societies as well as with the leaders of the various associations within organized medicine.
- Proven track record in effective forecasting financial management, budgeting, and administration.
- Ability to recruit, retain and grow membership as well as motivate and engage Board members and volunteers.
- Proven track record for recruiting, developing, and retaining a high performing, motivated staff. Strong administrative and staff management skills - the ability to be a strong coach and mentor.
- Political savvy along with strong consensus building and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge or the ability to learn of health care matters such as health system, medical economics, and state legislative/regulatory affairs.
- A skilled negotiator with the ability to motivate and manage.
- Superior communications skills, both oral and written, and strong listening skills. Polished presentation, persuasion, and public speaking skills with a comfort level to appear before diverse audiences of varying sizes, including government regulatory bodies, the media, and other forums to advance the MSSNY’s position on a multitude of issues.
Bachelor’s degree required with an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Korn/Ferry shall provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified candidates, and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected basis.