Chief Technology & Innovation Officer
|Category:||Industrial : Diversified Manufacturing|
Position Chief Technology & Innovation Officer
Location Oakdale, MN
Reporting Relationship Chris Payne, Chief Executive Officer
In 2018, as part of Kodak, Miraclon celebrated a decade in the flexo space. That’s ten years since their revolutionary KODAK FLEXCEL NX System made its debut. Ten years of pushing flexographic printing past its traditional performance limits and offering people better packaging. In that time, their technology has played a key role in revitalizing an established print process and bringing levels of consistency, efficiency and quality that were previously unimaginable for flexo.
Today, Miraclon takes everything they established as Kodak’s flexo division and pushes it further with the same global team, same kills and same insight and industry knowledge behind them but with more flexibility, focus and ambition than ever. Miraclon is proud to have the collaborations, innovative imaging science and industry insight they developed at Kodak to their name. Moving forward, they continue to develop and manufacture products that define the cutting edge of the industry – all carrying the well-known Kodak brand, all invented and sold by Miraclon
They are even more proud of what they are achieving as Miraclon, fully focused on flexo and working with customers and industry partners to push the boundaries of what this incredible industry can do.
The revolutionary technology at the heart of KODAK FLEXCEL NX Solutions is the result of many years of expertise in print and materials science – distilled into a decade of dedicated flexo R&D.
They deliver complete integrated solutions and their hard-won ingenuity drives every component. They tackle fundamental issues, search for innovative solutions to long-standing flexo problems and are never afraid to challenge the status quo; they’re happy to ‘do things differently.
Miraclon is building on their sector-leading legacy, forged over ten years as part of Kodak. They have always been totally flexo in spirit, and since 2019 they’ve been totally flexo in their vision and ambition too. As a stand-alone company they have one clear purpose – to provide the very best for their customers and continue to transform flexo, by bringing KODAK FLEXCEL Solutions to life.
They operate with sales and service in every region of the world, with offices in Belgium, Japan, Mexico, and Singapore. Their leadership team is spread worldwide too, ensuring they are on the ground and close to their customers, so they fully understand the markets they’re operating in.
They also have multiple R&D centers, two key manufacturing locations, a global supply chain operation, and a worldwide network of valued channel partners.
Flexo is their world and helping customers get best-in-class results from their technology keeps that world turning.
Miraclon is fully owned today by Montagu Private Equity.
The Chief Technology & Innovation Officer (CTIO) is a key member of the Miraclon Executive Leadership Team and responsible for the overall product innovation that differentiates Miraclon and drives growth. Reporting to the CEO, the CTIO will build and develop a high performing team to execute on the vision. As a result of superior products and technology, Miraclon plays a leading role in enabling the transformation of flexo for package printing. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, Miraclon has more opportunities to innovate than it can resource, so clear prioritization and efficient execution of the innovation engine and new product development is paramount.
• Develop the overall strategy of the Technology & Innovation organization, clearly driven by group corporate strategy and customer requirements.
• Lead the execution of technology strategy for technology platforms, partnerships, and external relationships.
• Anticipate and react to major technology changes to ensure the maintenance of company leadership in the competitive landscape.
• Manage the innovation process, researching new breakthrough ideas to support the strategic direction.
• Manage creation and protection of IP portfolio for the company.
• Manage current engineering process and support of manufacturing operations, including cost down.
• Lead and prioritize the new developments funnel based on strategic, customer and financial objectives, through a structured collaborative process (Miraclon leadership team, key stakeholders).
• Ensure on-time, on-budget project delivery as well as successful product commercialization by running an effective new product stage-gating process – involving all key stakeholders – supported by clear milestones, delivery KPIs and rapid issue escalation process.
• Lead the Technology and Innovation team, with particular attention to employee performance, well-being, development, and succession planning
• Responsible for overall team dynamics including resource planning, building commitment, establishing roles and responsibilities and providing feedback and recognition.
• Instill a high performance, customer-needs driven culture focused on personal accountability for “getting things done” on time.
• As part of the LT, collaborate closely with peers to ensure achievement of overall strategic and financial targets.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• 15+ years operating within a B2B, R&D/Technology/Product Marketing discipline in a high growth environment where technology and new product development is key to driving company growth.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret technology and market trends as a foundation for technology and product roadmaps.
• Preferably relevant industry experience in imaging, packaging, or printing with a focus on chemical materials within a closed-loop operating system.
• Knowledge of various printing technologies, materials, substrates, and system interdependencies is desired
• Knowledge of flexographic plate composition, construction and manufacturing is desired
• Knowledge of film composition, manufacturing and film coatings is desired.
• Proven ability to lead and build a high-performing leadership team across key innovation areas (software/applications, equipment & media)
• Proven track record in building and leading a high-performing “innovation engine”
• Experience leading cross-functional and geographically dispersed teams
• Strong commercial and customer focus
SUCCESS FACTORS AND KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance and success of the CTIO will be measured by the following:
• On-time new product delivery to milestone and stage gates – including overall time to market
• Miraclon new product revenues and EBITDA
• New product customer satisfaction (customer projects, product performance)
• IP developed and Patents awarded.
KEY PERSONALITY TRAITS
• Hands on Leader – A leader who can roll up his sleeves and lead by doing, energised by challenge to instil a similar mindset into team members.
• Team Player – Eagerness to work with the CEO and other senior leadership to drive business value.
• Visionary – Long term viewpoint, understanding the necessity of the immediate transformation, while setting up the IT department to support future innovation.
• Ability to Listen – Be able to accept input from broad sources, see the “wood from the trees” and develop a clear direction.
• Relationship Builder – The ability to form deep, trusting relationships with senior leadership, functional business leads, team members and external stakeholders.
• Cultural Openness – International and modern mindset, able to work with multi-cultured teams in agile and virtual work environments.
• A Masters degree, or higher, in a technical discipline with additional formal training in project management or product management.