Vice President of Marketing, Public Affairs and Communications
|Category:||Government/Not-For-Profit : Not-For-Profit|
Position Vice President of Marketing, Public Affairs, and Communications
Organization American College of Radiology (ACR)
Location Reston, VA
Reporting Relationship Executive Vice President and General Counsel
American College of Radiology (ACR)
American College of Radiology, a nonprofit organization of 40,000 physicians, seeks a Vice President of Marketing, Public Affairs, and Communications to lead the strategy and operations for integrated marketing, and to provide oversight of a creative team engaged in social media, digital marketing, public affairs, web content and client management.
This is an opportunity to join a high-performance organization that is leading its medical profession during dynamic and positive change. The position is responsible for continuously refining strategy for marketing services and events, and for major public affairs issues, including health equity, patient safety and access to care.
Founded in 1923, the American College of Radiology® is at the forefront of radiology evolution, representing nearly 40,000 diagnostic radiologists, radiation oncologists, interventional radiologists, nuclear medicine physicians and medical physicists. ACR brings its world-class research, education, and healthcare programming to its membership. The ACR has 54 chapters in the United States, Canada, and the Council of Affiliated Regional Radiation Oncology Societies (CARROS).
ACR is the “The Voice of Radiology” in matters of legislation and regulation. It is responsible for guiding radiology reimbursement and coding issues, including relative value units, managed care, alternative payment models, and Medicare regulations.
ACR is a thought and knowledge leader providing services not just to its membership, but to the entire industry in the areas of: Quality & Safety, Informatics, Education, Informatics, Clinical and Health Policy.
Mission and Core Values
To serve patients and society by empowering members to advance the practice, science, and professions of radiological care.
Leadership • Integrity • Quality • Innovation
ACR Strategic Plan
ACR has an all-encompassing strategic plan which addresses major changes in the industry with a focus in the following areas:
Health Care Payment Policies and Practice Models - Existing and new practice and payment models recognize the value delivered by radiology; ACR members are prepared to adapt and thrive within the models.
Membership and Member Engagement - Foster meaningful member experience and engagement.
Radiology and Patient-Centered Care - Radiology professionals partner with patients and their families to consistently employ best radiological practices for health equity and access to care throughout the continuum of disease detection, diagnostic evaluation and therapeutic care.
Innovation and Research - From Science to Practice and Policy
Facilitate future practice innovations through research and education for the benefit of patient outcomes, patient experience and population health.
External Relationships - Strengthen the profession through communication, cooperation and collaboration with other organizations, medical specialties, and stakeholders.
Data Science - Advance data science as core to clinically relevant, safe and effective radiologic care.
ACR Videos and News
The Voice of Radiology Blog
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supports ACR’s vision, values, and operating principles.
• Recruits, develops, and motivates talent for Marketing, Communications, and Public Affairs team. Create a positive, collaborative, high performing team environment where all members of the marketing team contribute to accomplish objectives.
• Builds strong, productive relationships with key functional areas across the organization. Participates in organizational management across departments.
• Daily interaction with board members, executive leadership, and colleagues from other medical organizations.
• Supports compliance of processes, polices, and systems.
• Will be a trusted advisor to leadership within the organization.
• Leads marketing directors to help identify and realize desired member/customer engagement (annual goals, campaigns, road map reporting, delivering on time/quality work within budget, managing client expectations).
• Assists in overseeing strategies and programs for clients managed by direct reports.
• Oversees the marketing technology platform, budgets, staff resources and department administration.
• Provides guidance, oversight, and efficient management of a decentralized marketing budget.
• Able to interpret, analyze and report on key performance data in support of strategy and strategic plan.
• Identifies opportunities for deeper engagement by serving as a trusted advisor and a strategic resource for clients.
• Guides and directs the development of the creative work to support ACR’s advertising and marketing efforts.
• Oversees all marketing communications including branding, collateral materials, direct marketing activities, trade show exhibits, special events, and all online activities.
• Develops brand planning process and leads the overall development of marketing plans and strategy. Successfully develops and executes marketing tactics and programs to deliver the strategy.
• Leads the development/optimization of a motivating, relevant and differentiated positioning for the ACR brand. Ensures the positioning is articulated in a clear and consistent manner in all communication vehicles.
• Conducts market research to support ACR’s initiatives and branding. Translates insights into meaningful strategies and tactics and implements as needed.
• Utilizes data to ensure ACR’s media objectives are being achieved; integrates best practices identified across internal network.
• Tracks, measures, and evaluates the results of marketing programs to recommend and execute changes to the plan.
• Leads brand performance reviews to ensure that brand strategies and performances remain on target in relation to overall corporate objectives.
• Recommends use of external agencies such as ad agencies, public relation agencies, or design firms where required for capabilities and/or capacities. Evaluates candidates and negotiates agency agreements; provides overall direction to major engagements.
• Contributes ideas for the organization’s thought-leadership activities.
• Develops and executes a communications plan that aligns with ACR’s mission, vision and values, strategic priorities, business objectives and identified target audiences which ultimately positions and advances the organization appropriately.
• Counsels leadership on public position statements, press releases, and media outreach, including trade and lay press. Has daily collaboration with the public policy team on legislative and regulatory issues that affect radiology and its economics.
• Leads crisis communications management.
• Has a deep understanding of non-profit digital marketing and technology trends.
• Ensures adherence to social media, privacy and compliance polices.
• Advises leadership on appropriate responses to outliers.
• Ensures best practices for social media platforms, blogs, and multiple websites.
• Advises on web content management and design.
• Assists in recruiting and coaching team members.
• Provides resources and training for continuous improvement and skill development.
• Daily team advising and supervision.
• Monthly/weekly staff planning and progress tracking, including timely communications to leadership.
• Is confident, well informed, and diplomatic.
• Can stand up for ideas and know when to back down.
• Is curious, resourceful, and adaptable.
• Stays up to date with current best practices in Marketing, Communications and Public Affairs.
• Able to learn complex issues quickly and thoroughly.
• 20 years of experience in integrated marketing communications, public relations, journalism, and staff management.
• Proven expertise in crisis and issue navigation and management.
• Knowledge of marketing best practices and marketing technology such as: Marketo, Salesforce, Tableau, Zoom, Confluence, Asana, MS Office, Outlook 365, Teams.
• Demonstrated record of progressive leadership roles in marketing and public affairs, in complex, non-profit organizations; particularly member organizations such as medical associations being highly preferred.
• Possess excellent journalistic writing and editing skills.
• Possess strong leadership capabilities. Loves to lead people both in their own team and across the organization.
• Experience successfully leveraging various media and platforms to advance institutional priorities and messaging.
• Demonstrated record of creating innovative marketing strategies in support of institutional goals.
• Experience leading brand strategy and managing brand development.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver high-quality creative services.
• Demonstrated experience in utilizing market research and identifying new trends and opportunities.
• Experience managing external agencies.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Experience creating and managing key performance indicators for marketing strategies to evaluate effectiveness and return on investment.
• Demonstrated business and financial acumen.
A Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field is required; an advanced degree such as an MBA is preferred.
Competitive compensation ranges and detailed benefits packages will be provided to candidates.