Senior Finance Director
|Location:||San Diego California|
|Category:||Government/Not-For-Profit : Not-For-Profit|
Position Senior Finance Director
Company Blue Star Families
Location San Diego preferred
Reporting Relationship Chief Operating Officer
Blue Star Families Background
The families of our all-volunteer military make unprecedented sacrifices these days to serve our country. Blue Star Families was founded by military spouses in 2009 to empower these families to thrive as they serve. We're committed to strengthening military families by connecting them with their neighbors – individuals and organizations – to create vibrant communities of mutual support. We believe we're all stronger when we take care of one another.
Our groundbreaking research is raising the nation's awareness of the unique challenges of military family life. With the help of neighbors across the country, Blue Star Families is overcoming the isolation and alienation of frequent moves, deployments, and reduced support from the government. Our innovative programs are solving specific challenges for military families, including fighting economic insecurity with resources that foster spouse career development, creating family strength with rich family programming, and providing critical peer support for caregivers, whose numbers are only increasing.
With more than 150,000 members in our network, including in chapters all over the world, Blue Star Families touches more than 1.5 million military family members every year. Through our research and program partnerships, Blue Star Families ensures that wherever American military families go, they can always feel connected, supported and empowered to thrive – in every community, across the nation, and around the globe.
Frequent moves and deployments make it challenging for military families to set down roots, make friends, find new employment and take care of their families. Blue Star Families is helping military families overcome these challenges and thrive in their communities as they serve.
We offer a wide variety of programs that enhance family life, help spouses find jobs, provide caregivers with essential peer support, and connect families with their civilian neighbors to build strong communities.
More than 1.5 million military family members around the world have benefited from Blue Star Families' programs, and that number continues to grow as we expand our programs and, working with our community partners, innovate new ways to help.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Senior Finance Director will be a forward-thinking, energetic, entrepreneurial leader to lead the Blue Star Families financial and business planning vision. A successful candidate has at least 10 years of broad finance experience, ideally in starting and scaling private and non-profit organizations along with knowledge of financial audit requirements, experience in gathering, evaluating, and presenting financial information and making actionable recommendations to executive leadership and Blue Star Families’ Board of Directors. The desired candidate possesses experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources, including government (federal and state) contracts, and an affiliate structure with diverse program areas delivered nationally.
This Senior Finance Director brings an innovative approach to help the organization determine new sources of revenue. S/he will look at ways to help the organization become more efficient in how they operate. In addition, s/he will develop models to review the cost of any new initiative as well as reviewing the cost of the current programs to ensure optimal performance.
Planning, Policy, and Donor Relations
• Develops solid forecasts and revenue modeling for scalable growth
• Utilizes reliable benchmarking data
• Guides organization’s business planning strategy
• Coordinates the development and monitoring of budgets
• Oversees cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
• Oversees cash, investment, and asset management
• Oversees financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships
• Develops and utilizes forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
• Participates in corporate policy development as a member of the executive management team
• Engages the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections
• Represents the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
• Remains up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
Accounting and Administration
• Oversees the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervises Blue Star Families’ finance staff
• Ensures maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
• Ensures timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and Blue Star Families’ board of directors
• Oversees the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements
• Coordinates audits and proper filing of tax returns
• Ensures legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
• At least 5 years of experience in a senior/executive level financial role, preferably in a start-up and/or nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $10 million
• Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies
• Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience with financial technology platforms, ERP’s
• Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal and presentation skills. Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills
• Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database systems (ex. Salesforce), strongly preferred
• Working knowledge of Google Apps
• Familiarity with the military community
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary to carry out key job functions
• Travel is required to attend meetings, trainings, events, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent from an accredited institution; MBA required.
This position offers a competitive salary, offset/stiped for health/dental coverage, unlimited PTO; 403b matching, life insurance, FSA, and short term disability.