Director, Business Development
|Location:||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Category:||Life Sciences/Healthcare : Pharmaceuticals|
Position Director, Business Development
Location South San Francisco, CA or Remote
Reporting Relationship SVP, Business Development
Cytokinetics is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing next-in-class muscle activators and next-in-class muscle inhibitors as potential treatments for debilitating diseases in which muscle performance is compromised and/or declining. As a leader in muscle biology and the mechanics of muscle performance, the company is developing small molecule drug candidates specifically engineered to impact muscle function and contractility. We take a purpose-driven approach by leveraging our unique muscle biology expertise to engineer compounds with specific characteristics aimed at treating diseases that impact muscle function, like heart failure, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ALS and SMA.
- Cytokinetics is engaging with regulatory authorities in preparation for a U.S. NDA submission of omecamtiv mecarbil, its novel cardiac muscle activator, following positive results from GALACTIC-HF, a large, international Phase 3 clinical trial in patients with heart failure.
- Cytokinetics is conducting METEORIC-HF, a second Phase 3 clinical trial of omecamtiv mecarbil. Cytokinetics is also developing CK-274, a next-generation cardiac myosin inhibitor, for the potential treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathies (HCM).
- Cytokinetics is conducting REDWOOD-HCM, a Phase 2 clinical trial of CK-274 in patients with obstructive HCM. Cytokinetics is also developing reldesemtiv, a fast skeletal muscle troponin activator for the potential treatment of ALS and other neuromuscular indications following conduct of FORTITUDE-ALS and other Phase 2 clinical trials.
- The company is preparing for the potential advancement of reldesemtiv to a Phase 3 clinical trial in ALS.
- Cytokinetics continues its over 20-year history of pioneering innovation in muscle biology and related pharmacology focused to diseases of muscle dysfunction and conditions of muscle weakness.
We view our employees as the unequivocal ingredients to success. Each and every employee is an integral member of the Cytokinetics team, contributing to our shared goal of improving lives. While expectations of our employees are high, there is an equal commitment to ensuring that contributions are recognized and rewarded.
We seek exceptional individuals to join us in our mission to develop potential medicines to improve the health span of people with cardiovascular and neuromuscular diseases of impaired muscle function.
The Director, Business Development will work closely with, and report to the Senior Vice President of Business Development and will be a key member of the team focused on business development activities.
- Responsible for leading and execution of business development activities through development of a robust pipeline of high quality, actionable opportunities in the pharma space to include identification of new collaborations, co-development/commercial partnerships, regional licenses, etc.
- Conducts due diligence, develops terms, and successfully negotiates co-development, commercialization and regional licensing agreements.
- Closely coordinating with senior staff and advisors across multiple functional areas, acting as a key contributor in the development and execution of the company’s partnering/licensing strategies
- Leading or supporting the deal team’s development, review, and negotiation of term sheets and contracts, working with relevant stakeholders to develop proposals, to solicit and incorporate feedback, and to track and develop solutions to deal issues
- Generating and delivering impactful presentations to senior management and key decision-makers
- Leveraging strong internal relationships and external network to drive the execution of initiatives
- Working collaboratively with Alliance Management.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Abilities
- A minimum of 10 years of biopharma business development experience required.
- Advanced degree (e.g., M.B.A., J.D., Ph.D., etc.) with a relevant technical degree preferred.
- Track record of productive participation and success in a business development role, with an appreciation of all stages of pharmaceutical drug research, development, and commercialization.
- Regional experience (Asia, Europe) is a plus.
- Technical ability to understand pipeline/portfolio at the company and potential partners.
- Ability to summarize or simplify complex concepts and to “think on your feet.”
- Experience with terms development and successful negotiation of co-development, commercialization and regional licensing agreements.
- Excellent analytical capabilities (e.g., to identify/evaluate opportunities, deal comparables, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated creativity, flexibility and problem-solving ability.
- Strong knowledge base regarding business development practices and trends.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with interactions across diverse disciplines.
- Positive attitude, attention to detail and polished presentation skills essential.