Position Chief Executive Officer
Company National Association of Veteran-Serving Organizations (NAVSO)
Location Washington, DC or Virtual
Reporting Relationship Board of Directors
The National Association of Veteran-Serving Organizations (NAVSO) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization exclusively focused on transforming the veteran services marketplace to improve the lives of veterans and military families. Since 2015, NAVSO has accomplished this mission by fostering innovation and delivering resources to those who serve this remarkable community, fund their support, study their needs or employ them. NAVSO offers educational programing, provides direct consultation, hosts summits, commissions research, shares democratized data resources, and facilitates the evaluation of meaningful services.
Transforming the Veteran Services Marketplace to Improve the Lives of Veterans.
We are exclusively focused on improving the effectiveness and efficiency of veteran services across the public and private sector.
Veterans and military families are thriving, valuable members of their communities and workplaces as a result of easy access to high quality services when and where they needed them.
Improve the lives of veterans and military families by providing essential resources to those who serve them, those who fund work supporting them and those who seek to employ them.
Chief Executive Officer
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be responsible for the organization’s strategic vision and operational execution by serving as the key external face of NAVSO, promoting the organization and its mission through frequent high-profile speaking engagements, conferences, and forums nation-wide. Additionally, the CEO will leverage his/her interpersonal skills and dynamic nature to develop new relationships with potential partners, sponsors, and funders. As the catalyst for much of the organization’s funding, the CEO will nurture relationships with existing sponsors as well as identify and engage potential new funders. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will ensure the organization is fiscally sound and that its external communications, fund development, and programs are aligned with the organization’s mission.
Due to the nature of the role, this position is a virtual position and the individual hired will work from a remote office. Ideally, the incoming CEO will live in the Washington, DC area, but well qualified individuals who live outside of DC will be considered.
Leadership & Vision
- Establish a strategic vision for the continued growth and expansion of NAVSO.
- Work collaboratively with Board and staff to ensure sustainment of programs that support the organization's goals.
- Provide clear and consistent communication of NAVSO’s mission and value to engage and inspire current and potential funders, sponsors, and partners.
- Mentor, develop, and retain NAVSO 's high-performance senior management team.
Fundraising & Communications
- Spearhead fundraising efforts to ensure annual fiscal goals are met.
- Provide strategic direction to the Marketing and Communications team to deepen and refine all aspects of communications from web presence to external messaging with the goal of creating a stronger organizational brand.
- Actively seek and participate in conferences, forums, and panels to further promote the organization’s mission and goals. Leverage these occasions to develop relationships with potential funders and partners.
Strengthening infrastructure and operations
- Work in close collaboration with key stakeholders to ensure day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the organization’s programs in fulfillment of its mission.
Mission Enhancement & Relationship Building
- Develop and oversee plans to expand NAVSO’s national reach and impact by leading a strategic planning process for program expansion.
- Build partnerships in new areas that are aligned with NAVSO’s mission. Establish and maintain relationships with leaders in veteran service organizations, corporations, civic organizations, non-profit groups and foundations, healthcare companies, and other entities that offer opportunities for synergistic support.
- Identify, incubate and foster innovative services that improve the veteran services marketplace.
- Create and maintain a national presence that communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of NAVSO in bringing veteran serving organizations together to serve veterans better.
- Develop and maintain a strong and cohesive relationship with the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to update or refine as needed the organization's direction, policies, and goals.
- Work with the Board of Directors to identify and help recruit new board members whose talents, interests and commitment will help further the organization's mission.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors to ensure open communication about the measurement and reporting of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to serving veterans.
- Successful experience in a senior leadership role of a high-growth nonprofit organization, including leading and mentoring a team.
- Familiarity with military/Veteran culture and preferred experience with Veteran Service Organizations.
- Proven record of effectively leading and implementing a strategic plan with clear and measurable outcomes.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with a talent for engaging and inspiring others.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong funding relationships and other partnerships to support an organization’s revenue objectives.
- Experience collaborating effectively with diverse audiences.
The ideal leader will possess the following attributes:
- Mission oriented
- Innovative with a focus on driving change
- Entrepreneurial with a startup-mindset
- Ability to build strong relationships and partnerships
- Desire to motivate and serve others
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strategic with ability to be hands on (no job is too big or small mentality)
- Ability to manage multiple projects to achieve desired goals on time, on budget
- Well versed in leading in a virtual environment with 25-33% travel
A completed bachelor’s degree is required.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the finalist candidate.