Director Of Credit Underwriting
|Location:||Washington District of Columbia|
|Category:||Financial : Investment Banking/Capital Markets|
Position Director of Credit Underwriting
Company Farmer Mac
Location Washington D.C.
Reporting Relationship Executive Vice President – Chief Business Officer
About Farmer Mac
At Farmer Mac, everything they do is inspired by their mission, their promise and their values. They are a diverse group of talented, engaged, and passionate individuals who are committed to bringing vitality to rural America through innovation, collaboration, and excellence. This team embodies these principles that have guided Farmer Mac since its inception and help them to serve as a champion for rural America. Candidates for this position must share the same appreciation for rural America and should want to devote a career to serving those who help set the global standard in agriculture and rural utilities while advancing the livelihood of rural communities.
Farmer Mac’s Mission
Farmer Mac is committed to help build a strong and vital rural America by increasing the availability and affordability of credit for the benefit of American agriculture and rural communities.
Farmer Mac’s Promise
To build a strong and vital rural America through innovation, collaboration, and excellence.
Farmer Mac’s Core Values
- Unparalleled Service
- Innovative Thinking
- Collegial Collaboration
- Unrelenting Excellence
- Absolute Integrity
- Passion for Rural America
- One Farmer Mac
Farmer Mac is an equal opportunity employer.
NO EMPLOYEE OR JOB APPLICANT WILL BE DENIED OPPORTUNITIES OR BENEFITS AT
FARMER MAC BASED ON RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN,
DISABILITY, VETERAN STATUS, CITIZENSHIP STATUS, GENETIC INFORMATION, OR ANY
OTHER BASIS PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
At Farmer Mac, the Director of Credit Underwriting will be responsible for managing the underwriting function for the commercial business lines at Farmer Mac, primarily focused on agricultural/agribusiness lending and structured finance. This role will be expected to lead the cultivation of business line underwriting processes, facilitate the development of a capital markets underwriting platform, and integrate portfolio analytics into the underwriting process.
Responsibilities include oversight and execution of complex transactions, underwriting process management, analytics and advisory for customer transactions, and facilitating the adherence to appropriate underwriting standards. This new, senior level position will have a high degree of visibility within the organization and is expected to immediately contribute towards accelerating the existing Farmer Mac business lines as well as the significant growth objectives of the organization.
• Management of the underwriting operations for each Farmer Mac business line including:
o Oversight and execution of transaction review and underwriting
o Underwriting of complex credits in accordance with prescribed methods and procedures
o Collaboration with the Credit Approval Committee when underwriting complex transactions
o Preparation of underwriting reports for transactions and present those reports to appropriate staff, cosponsors and internal committees
• Maintain a sound and consistent set of underwriting processes and general credit philosophy aligned within internal standards and guidelines.
• Assist and support the organization’s business lines in credit analysis, transaction structuring and customer interaction responsibilities.
• Review, analyze and assess complex credit structures, within prescribed standards, for financing transactions from a variety of commodity types, industries and entities from across the United States.
• Participation in the development of each business line’s annual portfolio strategy by providing guidance on portfolio management and leveraging data analytics and credit trends.
• Recommendation of changes to lending standards, guidelines, and related policies in consultation with Credit Approval Committee and Risk Management.
• Key business line participant in the implementation of infrastructure and other growth projects for Farmer Mac as it relates to the impact on customer transactions.
• Work with Financial Research and Strategy in the development of management reports that include monitoring underwriting turnaround times, loan volumes and credit performance trends.
• Oversight of underwriters to assist the team with professional growth and development.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
• Ten (10) or more years of relevant agribusiness and/or rural infrastructure underwriting experience.
• Five (5) or more years of progressive management experience.
• Broad knowledge of risk management techniques and functions.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in portfolio level analytics / evaluation.
• Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff and customers.
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and decision-making skills.
• Must have strong verbal and written communication abilities.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related fields. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
• Excellent knowledge of credit and financing structures as well as complex financial underwriting.
• Thorough understanding of accounting, financial statements and income tax returns.
• Strong familiarity with loan underwriting, collateral evaluation, lien perfection and documentation requirements relating to agricultural loans and related commercial loan structures